The Mayor’s Task Force on the Prevention of Flooding in Bloomingdale and LeDroit Park has prepared a comprehensive report that examines the existing conditions, in those neighborhoods, and proposes actions for DC Water, other District agencies and residents to reduce the likelihood or severity of flooding and its consequences.
This Final Report identifies the causes of surface flooding and sewer backups that occurred in Bloomingdale and LeDroit Park; provides recommendations on short, medium, and long term mitigation measures; and summarizes these issues within a regulatory, economic, and social context. It also includes guidance that will enhance the preparedness capacity of District citizens – further building the public’s awareness of actions that can be taken before, during, and after severe storms and floods to help reduce health and safety risks, and damage to property.
Early indications are that the report's recommendations are working, as evidenced by the recent report by NBC4 below.
The PDF version of the Report has been separated into sections to help users quickly download preferred components. However, users may refer to the following Table of Contents to confirm the scope of each PDF file.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- Section 1 Executive Summary and Introduction
- Section 2 Existing Conditions
- Section 3 Analysis of July and September 2012 Flood Events
- Section 4 Methodology for Development of Short and Medium Term Mitigation Strategies
- Section 5 Alternatives to Address Flooding
- Section 6 Regulatory
- Section 7 Storm Preparation and Response
- Section 8 Project Financing
- Section 9 Recommended Plan